make/believe

Documenting the creative process of sisters Briana Linden (in Portland, Oregon) and Phaedra Elizabeth (in Brooklyn, New York). They've been working together for the past 27 years, since they met and became family when one was 7 and the other 5.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

home sick? or neglect?



maybe it is homesick. maybe it's just where i'm at now. but i've not felt like myself since i got back to my "new" home. my new york home. i was relieved to finally just get to new york friday night/saturday morning. but since then i've just been restless.

restless=sleepless. everything feels neglected. my cat, the drawings, this blog. . . my mind is aimless and forgetful. last night a man asked me how long i'd been in line at the grocery store, i stared at him for a moment and said, "i don't know, i was day dreaming."  and then i couldn't remember what i had been thinking about. 

is this grief? 

after our conversation about walking to normindale and revisiting that portland walk, i walked up alberta (right?) and remembered how i always loved the sidewalks in portland, completely reminds me of childhood. i love that they are dated as they are and that they keep the old dates with the new ones when they were replaced. it's like a cultural nostalgia. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you're feeling something like homesick.

I had this job back in 2001 / 2002. I had to travel all over the country, which I thought was great because I'd finally figure out where I wanted to live. I'm glad I had that opportunity. There were too many nights in Austin, or Charleston, or Racine, or LA where I had a fantastic time, but I just wanted to be in Portland again, I was homesick. And so I knew. I learned I wanted to live right here, where I've always been.

...

Portland Yay!

briana linden said...

look, someone else besides us commented!!

I'm going to start blogging again i promise. soon.
xoxo

briana linden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Lol! This was the second time I've commented. The first one was on the precious canvas. I haven't known Phaedra as long as you have, but I've known her for a little while. :-) Take care. -gregory