make/believe

Documenting the creative process of sisters Briana Linden (in Portland, Oregon) and Phaedra Elizabeth (in Brooklyn, New York). They've been working together for the past 27 years, since they met and became family when one was 7 and the other 5.

Monday, June 2, 2008

the first conversation about our november show

roadmaps to our past
roadmaps of childhood
roadmaps/pathways
roadmaps and keyholes
key
maps
what makes us family
making family
roadmaps to family
airways

make/believe
I think that's the one.
My sister and I met when I was seven years old. Though the Brady Bunch showed us an idealized version of what combined families looked like, it still felt very new and strange in the early eighties to try and explain our family. Throughout our lives, my sister and I continue to define and explain to each other what family is. Both artists, our work is about observing and documenting the world around and within us. Our world is made larger, more understandable and brilliant through our relationship. I talk to my sister every day. This show is about that conversation.

No comments: